Monday, February 9, 2009

Trip to the ER

So yesterday was not a fun day for our little Bellarina. She's had a little bit of a cold/runny nose for the past week now, so i wasn't shocked when she snuggled up to next to me around 11 am and fell asleep. I figured she just didn't feel good and thought nothing of it. She woke up around noon and when she looked up at me the entire right side of her face, chin, and neck was completely swollen! And i don't just mean swollen, i mean HUGE! I was so scared and freaked out and didn't know what to do. I immediately called Brian who was on his way home from Odessa, Ukraine and told him that i was taking her to the ER. We jumped in the car and were there in about 25 minutes (mind you, this is normally a 35 minute drive). So we go, check in and the guy at the counter asks us what we're there for. When i tell him, he can't believe how swollen she is. Meanwhile, Bella is still being the same happy, social little girl she alway is, saying "hi" and "ciao ciao" to everyone in the ER:) Finally, after doing an ultrasound, the doctor says that the radiologist can't see anything abnormal and it looks like it might just be a swollen gland. She prescribes us an antibiotic and 5 hours later we leave the ER. When we finally get home, Brian is waiting for us outside with Coby and can't wait to see his little princess. After i explain everything to him, i start to cry uncontrollably, thinking the worst, and wondering what is wrong with my baby.

We had a follow up appointment this morning with the pediatrician, who, after checking out her swollen face/neck, said it's probably a swollen lymph node and not a swollen gland (apparently if it was a swollen gland, the swelling would be a little bit higher). He told me to keep giving her the antibiotics and that if we don't see any changes by her next appointment Thursday morning, they might have to do a CT scan :( I am so happy and thrilled to say that the swelling is starting to go down!!! Thank God. I don't want my baby to get a CT scan - she's way too little for that. So that's where we are with our little Bella right now. Hopefully, the swelling will go down even more over the next couple of days, or we might just have to reschedule our trip to Sorrento this weekend. Brian and everyone keep reassuring me that everything will be fine and i know that it probably will be - i just hate not knowing what is wrong with my baby girl. I guess all i can do right now is pray that she will be ok.

Here is a picture of her last night after her bath. It's not the best picture, but you get the idea...

5 comments:

Susie said...

Poor little Bella! I hope she is feeling better today. I will be praying that it goes away and you have no more trouble with it! I'll be praying for you too, especially with Brian gone!

Jim said...

We'll be praying for Bella!

My Bottle's Up! said...

oh goodness... our thoughts are with you guys. we have definitely "been there" in terms of hospitalizing and testing our child. no fun at all and it TOTALLY wears on your emotions. we'll hope for continued progress and good news.

The Woodards said...

Bella...we hope that you feel better. She will be ok!!!!

love and miss you guys

the woodards

Janet, Angel, Jason & Yasmin said...

I am glad to hear that Bella is doing well. Poor thing and I mean you too! It's hard to be a mom sometimes.